Monday, October 25, 2010

The Cure will Kill You

I was really sick last week (immune system shot to hell due to stress...) and finally went to the Health Center on Thursday knowing we were going away for the weekend for a much needed respite break.  I was worried about getting sicker so far from home - so I took the first available apointment with whichever doctor...Well. Turns out she was about 12 years old...diagnosed me with both sinusitis and bronchitis, prescribed amoxycillin and warned me I'd probably get a yeast infection.


Are you kidding me???? A yeast infection? You want me to willingly consume something that will give me a yeast infection for my 20th anniversary? My first respite weekend away EVER since becoming a foster parent in 2005? My one time away for romance with The Other Mother without a kid in six years and you want me to have a yeast infection????  What are you nuts???? Nope. Twelve. Yeah. Same thing.

Seriously. I smiled, thanked her and stopped at the pharmacy and filled the scrip to keep in my medicine chest for another time...

I am still hacking up a lung and sniffling - but I am smiling and very, very relaxed.


7 comments:

  1. LOL If it helps acidolphilis (I hope I am spelling that correctly) will prevent said yeast infection by restoring the needed healthy flora. You can buy this in capsules or choose to gorge on yogurt that lists that it has it in it. I think if I remember rightly Stonyfield Farms brand has one with the live cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your choice worked out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taking lots of probiotics (like in Activia yogurt) can prevent you from getting a yeast infection on antibiotics. You get them because the antibiotics kills the good bacteria too, so taking the probiotics builds them back up again.

    Glad you had a good time! Thank you again (and again, and again, and again, for the tickets to WOF!!). You really helped two women in desperate need of a break!

    Mary in TX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get a yeast infection every time I take an antibiotic since I had surgery two years ago. Seriously. Talk about cramping one's style! If I know I'm going to need to take one, I bathe in vinegar (the smell quickly fades), eat lots of garlic, eat lots of yogurt and drink a probiotic booster drink twice a day. It'a lot of work, but it has helped some in the past.

    I'm so glad you got time away, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i do not do amoxicillin. it's in my charts. I did it nearly three years ago after my wisdom tooth extraction and showed up at the pharmacy a day later, in tears and shouting at the pharmacist over the heads of the other patrons, "the yeast infection I've gotten from this piece of crap medication is so bad I can't sit and I swear to you my butt is going to fall off!"

    it's a curious thing. apparently a raving lunatic woman with a horrendous yeast infection gets priority service at the counter.

    just in case you wondered, because, you know, there might be times when you need to rush your order at the pharmacy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Follow you thru "with love from sumy" I just went through an intensive set of antibiotics this summer. Yogurt did work for me. The fabulous dr told me to space the antibiotics and the yogurt so they don't counteract each other. In other words, if you take the antibiotics every 8 hours,like 8 am , 2 pm & 10 pm,eat the yogurt about noon & 6 pm.

    ReplyDelete