Friday, December 3, 2010

Quilting, Reading, Sleeping and The Other Mother

Now that the Littles have gone home and we just have James (14) and Bobby (12) I am trying to reclaim my life and get back to the things I really love but have neglected or put aside: like Quilting, Reading and Sleeping and spending time with The Other Mother. Thanksgiving weekend I immersed myself in all four:

QUILTING:


I made this sweet little baby quilt in an afternoon using a great Moda charm pack (42 different coordinating fabrics precut into 5 inch squares....). James' amazing Social Worker is expecting his first child (a little boy) in March. Of course my new grandson, Andrew, needs one too....
READING:

I inhaled 3 books over Thanksgiving weekend.  Oh.My.Stars! I had forgotten the pleasure of uniterrupted reading....well, I did take a break to make the baby quilt and maybe I interrupted for a midday NAP...or a cup of tea...or a bowl of Turkey soup....but other than that and a few bathroom breaks, my butt was glued to the couch READING.

So of the three: Most notable was Alan Bradley's The Weed That Strings The Hangman's Bag (A Flavia de Luce msytery) Loved it!!! Flavia is a spunky/precocious chemist and sleuth (and eleven years old). Do not be fooled by her age: this is not a young adult book - but a well written character that will draw you in and keep you turning the pages til the wee hours of the morn...I'm hooked.

John Sanford's Rough Country another fast paced, well written mystery series starring a likeable investigator Virgil Flowers called in by Lucas Davenport (Lucas is the main character in Sanford's 13+ book Prey series) to help solve a murder set in Northern Minnesota.

and lastly: Charlaine Harris' Aurora Teagarden Mystery: Three Bedrooms and a Corpse (southern cozy mystery series).  I love anything written by Charlaine...she did the Sookie Stackhouse series....

SLEEPING:
Since the Littles left I have slept late, napped and gone to bed early.  I don't know what it was about the combination of a 4,5,12 and 14 that had me bone tired - but I was more tired with this family configuration than I was with the newborn and 11,12 and 13 last Spring or with the infant and the 10, 11, 12 last year...........all I know is I am freakin' EXHAUSTED and still trying to catch up on my beauty sleep...........

THE OTHER MOTHER
If either of our two babysitters ever call back- we may actually go on a date tomorrow night and see a movie together (without children!!!)..If our sitter doesn't call back - I'm determined we will still have date night at home (maybe hang out and watch a movie without the kids....)

Anyhow - my point being that over the past few months I was becoming a little too one dimensional (foster/adoptive mom) and am determined to be the well rounded renaissance woman I used to be (reader/quilter/friend/wife/mother etc....)

I'll keep you posted!




3 comments:

  1. Oh! I'm so glad you get a chance to flesh out again. It's so hard feeling squished into one you. I know! In fact, that's one of the consulations I offer myself after Cordelia leaves (until the phone rings again, of course), I'll get to craft, read and SLEEP!!!

    Can't wait to hear how you use up your time! Oh, and that quilt is to die for!!! A gifted lady, you are (What, am I channeling Yoda???)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made your alfredo, rotel noodle dish the other night...except I added turkey. It was so good! I love good, easy recipes like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. moda fabrics are awesome, aren't they? Great minds think alike - I'll be doing a four patch square for my January wall hanging: ninepatch/snowball double block.

    ReplyDelete