Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Ten Day Notice

About the not so good reasons why I haven't been Blogging. It has been an emotional week for us all. Monday we gave our "10 day notice" to discontinue foster care for RADISH to our local branch office of the state social service agency.

I could write about all the reasons we had not give our 10 day notice before. Mostly it was our belief that if he was asked to leave our home prior to reunifying with is Dad, RADISH would take that as confirmation of his belief that all people are not to be trusted, that we joined the ranks of all who had ever given up on him, that we don't want him to reunify with his Dad etc, etc.... So we'd take a deep breath, reach out for support, talk to the social workers, the therapists, brainstorm with other foster/adoptive parents, read books, educate ourselves, role play interactions/interventions, research the RAD community (that is how we came here and learned of Blogging....) Over and over, this is what we would do.

We began the introductory adoption dance of descriptions, disclosures and visits in April of 2008. In August 2008, the Division of Family Services placed him with us. He loudly and clearly did not want to be adopted. In our anonymous New England state, he was near the age where his consent is needed and his desires are acted upon. His attorney and the Social Service Agency and the court heard him and by winter of 2008, his goal was changed from Adoption to Reunification with bio-Dad. We supported this, and, in fact, were loud and proud advocates for his reunification. All were working toward that goal: solid regular communication, collaborative parenting strategies, frequent visits, etc. A target date to move back with Dad was set for the end of school in June. Things were on track. Dad relapsed in May. The drug-rehab program where Dad lives felt that RADISH should not reunify and move in over the summer – but should instead wait until September. Radish’s therapist left the agency and a new therapist has still not been assigned. School ended. The magic transition date came and went. RADISH is having some seriously big feelings about Dad's relapse and the impact on his postponed reunification. His world is upside down. He denies there is a problem. His already crazy behaviors rapidly spiraled downward. Here we are today.

RADISH did not want to leave his institution/residential program, he wanted to return to his bio-family, he did not want to be adopted, and he did not want to be placed with two moms. As he later said to us, "the only reason I picked you is because you were closer to my Grandmother." We took that as a positive sign - at least he picked us. We are optimists if nothing else. Unfortunately, one cannot parent a child with RAD on optimism alone.

While we and his therapist have long recognized that RADISH's severe attachment and mental health issues were beyond our scope, we continued to provide care because we felt that, ultimately, if we didn't, who would? Where would he go??? He had come from psychiatric hospitalizations, multiple failed foster placements, a 9 month stay in a psych hospital, a long stay in an institutional residential facility, and, finally, to us. How could we not stick with him????

After much soul searching, discussion, belated healthy limit setting, and prayer, we finally were able to make the calls, send out the emails and begin the process. We could no longer ignore the negative impact RADISH's behaviors are having on our family unit, and more importantly, the effects taking hold on the individual children. Thankfully, we were able to dig deep and make the painful decision.

19 comments:

  1. It's so hard. I still wonder if we could have parented Ann and Frankie if there had been no other children in the house. Ultimately I agree that our obligation to the children who are already part of the family come before obligations to children who are new.

    I hope he finds a place. I'm sorry your placement is ending this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. This is the second post of this sort (one end of placement, one adoption disruption) that people have pointed me to today, and I don't think that's any coincidence. I need to hear these stories. I need to hear that Moms can make these agonizing decisions and survive them.

    My son has been in a residential treatment facility for the last 8 months. Because of the threat he poses to our other children, I cannot agree to let him come home. We will disrupt the adoption. It has taken us almost 2 years to make the decision.. now we need to actually go through the motions, and hope that we can survive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commend you strength for trying as hard as you did, for as long as you did. I myself am going through the pain of deciding if having one child removed from our family could help the rest. It is not an easy decision. Your family is my thoughts :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. May peace be with you. Like people tell me, "you can't help all of them" so I will pass that on to you two wonderful women.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can not imagine the hurt you must have felt having to make such a hard descion. Your family is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for all of you and wish you, as Tiruba said, much peace and healing from what must have been a brutally difficult decision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry. These decisions are never easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs...not the same thing as our almost daughter was never adopted (foster) but she gave us an ultimatum we couldn't comply with...she wanted us to choose between her and the child who is now our daughter.

    Had I not had the little one to worry about maybe I would have withstood the avalanche of issues inundating us or maybe not but I do know that having one or more children to worry about makes a huge difference.

    We do what we can...hang in there..hug one another a lot and you'll survive this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry for your pain. We had to move out two foster-to-adopt daughters a little over two years ago. They took part of me with them. I feel your pain. Take heart, God is in control, even in this. *Hug*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you're so pitiful and sad. Poor, poor baby. My heart is just breaking for you. I guess he's just another throw-away child and rather than do any REAL parenting, it's much better and easier to throw him back in the water. I hope and pray that he goes to a home where he'll be welcomed and wanted REGARDLESS. Of course he's upset by his dad's relapse and if you had a sympathetic bone in your body, you'd give him the time he so desperately needs. There's a nice, warm comfortable spot in hell just for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to go to my father when I was 18. Not by anyone pushing me but for myself. I had to know who and what he was about then. I knew him till I was 9 or 10 seen many nasty sides of him. But, I had to give it a chance that maybe he would want me and see if there was a relationship possible. If anyone had denied me that possibility I would of had no closure. I am not a foster child mind you, but rather from a broken home. There are things in a person that requires closure and this is one of them. If you truly cared for him you would back him on it rather then fight him on it. ultimately it is his life he needs to take the choices he has and make them. It is up to the family (even pseudo family) to help him through things. Not just dump him out like another piece of trash for doing what is mentaly healty. Regrets and doubts will weigh on a person till it crushes them and if you take away the ability he will always be looking back and wondering.

    Sounds like to me another case of NBLL (Non Bio Limited Love). Everything is fine until there is somethng the non bios dont want to deal with or face. why? simply because the non bios dont have the same attatchement a true parent would have with the child. I would die or give up my freedom in an instant if my children was harmed or would imrpove their life. Would you? obviously not if your more concerned with the impact of the "family unit". Sorry in reality its not a family unit. It is a pseudo family with all its outward bells and whistles. When you break it down it is a hollow representation. Nothing more then seperate people in a common dwelling.

    I think you should back him or leave him be atleast. he is not a puppy you bring home and potty train, feed, and make their grooming choices for. He is a living breathing human being. Treat him as being such. Whats more important to you, His life, free will, and future outlook on life, or your image of your self manifistation of a "family"/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Obviously, the last two posters have no idea how hard it is for foster parents to make the decision to end a placement. I've never been in that situation (I only foster dogs and cats), but I'm sure that it takes deep thought and soul-searching to decide what is safest for the other children already in the home balanced against what the one child needs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There ARE blood parents who are pressed toward
    giving up one child for the sake of the rest.

    Sometimes it is because of psycho/behavior problems and threats or false accusations
    endangering the entire family.

    Other times it is because a child has
    intense ""Special Needs"" that require
    massive funding and constant attention
    (conflicting with work).

    To me the latter are the saddest because
    the state will NOT offer assistance to
    keep them in the home the way they pay
    fosters/adopters.

    I ran into a young man taking care of his
    terminally ill grandmother. He sought
    assistance/pay to take care of her at the
    end of her life. Social Services told him
    they could not pay him unless he took care
    of her 24 hours a day. He could not go to school. They would not provide him with
    relief help or respite care so he can go to school.

    If she was turned over to the STATE then
    they would pay MORE to care for her last days.

    Yes, Social Services agencies are running protective services for Senior Citizens on
    pretty much the same model as for Child Protection, except that they seem particularly
    interested in grandmas with MONEY.
    They seize grandma against her will
    and empty her bank accounts to pay for
    Social Services contractors and care.

    The problem for the young man was that his
    grandma did not have a big bank account so
    the state is not very excited about helping.

    Where is all of their altruism?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I know plenty about foster families. They get bunches of money to "love" our children. Sometimes they give a whole new meaning the phrase, "I love you to death." So don't tell me I don't understand foster parents. It used to be that they stopped getting paid when they adopted but now they keep right on getting all that free money, food stamps, free medical/dental/vision, and any other monies they can squeeze out of the system. Oh, and if they have to spend $1 out of their pockets for their care, they submit a voucher for reimbursement from the state. I've read enough foster parenting blogs and I'm on a number of foster parent support groups to know all about them. In fact, I'm on one called "Disruption from Adoption" and one woman on there was "selling" her child to anyone on the group. My God, it's a Yahoo group she was trying to pawn this child off on. Who knows what perverts are on there! I was literally so shocked that I found out what city/state she was in and sent it to the proper authorities. How can you just throw a child away?

    This child does not fit into your "ideals" of the perfect family so you're gonna just throw him away like a piece of trash! Please tell me how you can do that and still live with yourself? I don't care how bad he's acting out you don't throw him away. Hasn't he had enough of that to last him a life time? Hasn't he had enough hurt? However, if you can't accept him for who he is, he's much, much better off without you. Maybe now he'll go somewhere where he'll be loved and wanted. Please though, do yourself and all the other foster children out there, don't take in another one. The last thing they need is yet another family that's going to not want them. Maybe this way the bios will stand a chance. You epitomize everything that's wrong with the foster care system. It's too bad you can't find the love and patience needed for this young man. I wish him all the luck in the world. You're just like Amy and Dick Langley who shipped Taylor off to the farm like some unwanted dog. Shame on you and all the others who throw these children out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love for the critical posters here to spend one day with an RAD kid. I wouldn't last an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My thoughts exactly, rimps. I'd be a lot more sympathetic to the Brendas of this world if they ever acknowledged that the other kids in the household might have a reasonable expectation that another child who is hurting them would be removed if he or she couldn't be controlled (and the whole nature of RADishes is that their violent behaviors *can't* be controlled).

    In the meantime, I think Brenda just volunteered to take in kids who have fun little quirks (like, say, strangling neighborhood pets) and never, ever letting them go. Also, I think she just volunteered to pay for all their care out of pocket. Go, Bren!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am sorry you are receiving so many critical remarks. The truth is, love isn't enough for many of these kids, and I blogged about this topic today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so sorry. Sending you all some hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I had no idea foster parents are rolling in dough from conning the system. All the ones I know are nearly broke. The nut cases are really coming out of the woodwork on this issue. You know, the ones who have never actually experienced what you and your family have gone through but they have plenty to say about it.
    I say they should crawl back in their cave and gnaw on some bones or something.

    ReplyDelete