
Recently I was sitting at the table, glue stick, stickers, colorful index cards at the ready. There I was, trying my best to craft UNDER THE RADAR at the dining room table while the boys watched a movie and puttered about. Keep in mind, the dining area and living area share one large room; we are in the SAME room.
Is it just me or do you find as soon as you sit down and attempt to engage in a solitary, age appropriate, adult activity of your choosing, your children suddenly NEED you for something? In my case, that pretty much covers most of my favorite past times: quilting, reading, doing puzzles, scrapbooking, talking to my spouse, etc.
The kids hunt me down like a wounded animal and insert themselves between me and anything that possibly would take my attention away from them. Subsequently, I haven't worked on a quilt in some time and have finished only one of the five books I have started this month. Of course, sitting up BLOGGING has gotten in the way of my late night reading fests...but, I digress.
Don't get me wrong. Their curiosity has come in handy; each child we have had in our home has learned to quilt: how to measure and cut fabric, fill a bobbin, thread and run a sewing machine, iron seams, stuff a pillow. Create.
Anyhow, I am pretty embarassed to admit that there are times when my kids come and wedge themselves so I can't do anything but focus on them and my solitary project suddenly becomes their group activity. I, sometimes, want to scoop all of my materials close to my ample bosom, look them square in the eye and say loudly "GO AWAY. Mine, mine, mine - ALL MINE".
Now that's mature.
No comments:
Post a Comment