Next- he went to a very experienced foster/adoptive home on a preadoptive placement to join 2 of his 3 older sisters; his third older sister was in foster care with us. This very experienced preadoptive family has adult children and have adopted four or five kids and have fostered several hundred. They have been doing this for over 20 years. Anyhow, after less than half a year, the VERY experienced foster/adoptive home disrupted too. Mind you - 20 years experience, they had two of his three older sisters and still disrupted.
He then went to a residential treatment program. In July of 2007 we brought his sister to visit him at Residential Treatment and we fell in love with him. We tried to deny it and avoided talking about it for a while. We only fostered teens. We were not looking to adopt. We had a five year Plan (move to Vermont when our 3 teens graduate High School). Despite our best planning,
The Other Mother and I fell head over heels for this young boy and welcomed him into our hearts and home in August of 2007. It has been a challenging and blessed experience for us all. Did I say challenging??? Bobby has come a thousand miles from where he was.
This is where he was meant to land. With us. This is where he fits. Nestled in our hearts. I just can't imagine our life without him.
I am feeling hopeful for You, Dear Readers, and Me and the other families and children touched by disruption...I am so very sorry it happens - and ever so glad that it happens, too.
Otherwise, without disruptions, we wouldn't have Bobby.
ours are from distruptions too, hard them a blessing for us! you are all lucky to have one another.
ReplyDeleteThe oh so special boy thats currently singing his heart out in my bathtub also came to us via disruption. Sometimes miracles wear a disguise. Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful post :)
ReplyDeleteyou know, I can't help but wonder if it's the two-mama factor that worked for him? Perhaps the stereotypical father figure was what triggered him? I'm just speculating.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I let myself think about how things might be better for Sissy if she didn't have two younger bio-siblings, one with directly opposed special needs to hers. I wonder if it's these factors that prevent her from healing - as in, would she better in a family where she was an only child? But I'm not willing to disrupt, I just wonder - what else could be done to make it the best possible scenario for her success because maybe we're not it, you know?
anyway, if two mamas is indeed what helped your Bobby overcome, then that's one more jab to toss out to all of those whack jobs that think it has to be one mom and one dad to adopt kids, an in-your-face sort of thing! lol
What a beautiful post. And you have the cutest son too! :-)
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures and post. Glad he found a place that works :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad for this post. If it was not for stories like this.. and Christine's, and Essie's.. I would not have had the strength to do what was best for all involved in "Daniel's" life.
ReplyDeletexoxo
What a cutie, thanks for sharing his story.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a beautiful post. I think sometimes with adoptions the chemistry is just not right and disruptions occur and then the right family comes along and the chemistry fits and it's as if that was how it was always meant to be. Your son is adorable. I'm so glad you all found each other.
ReplyDeleteTwo of mine are from disruptions too. . .and they're my easy kids! It's amazing how they just blossom when where they're meant to be.
ReplyDeleteThanks for speaking from your heart my dear friend!!!!
ReplyDeleteSo so wonderful.
ReplyDeleteWow. What an encouragement to read! I am new to these stories of disruption but haven't seen positive outcomes until reading this and seeing the comments to it. YAY! What a blessing you are to each other!!
ReplyDeleteOur adopted boy is a constant confusion but we love him dearly and also believe he is in the right home. God is good. I will keep your story in mind if we are led to adopt again.:D
What a wonderful story! Fate I say.
ReplyDelete