Friday, July 16, 2010

Re-Evaluation and Update

Oh, did I tell you The Other Mother and I are updating our Homestudy and are submitting it to the Regional Adoption Unit? Ummmmmm. Yeah.

Our Family Social Worker with The Division of Family Services just did our annual Foster Parent Licensing re-evaluation. We are approved again for 4 more kids, age 0-18, in addition to Bobby. Currently we are considered unrestricted foster and foster to adopt within our local unit and we asked to expand our options to include The Regional Adoption Unit.

The Other Mother is 51 and I am 49 and I could swear that sound I hear is our parental clock ticking.
There are only so many more YEARS The Other Mother can challenge our kids to pull up contests, push up contests and road races and still beat em' every time. If one more person asked me if I was Baby Dee's GRANDMOTHER I was gonna have a stroke. So, WHILE WE ARE YOUNG, PEOPLE I figure we best get to growin' our family...SOON.

Recently, we were panel speakers at a regional adoption event, and while we did not set out to look for another child or sibling group, we found ourselves making inquiries on several children and making some connections with Social Workers. We said we were interested in sibling groups, and older adolescent or teen boys, but we are flexible...Bobby wants to be a big brother - but we'd like to see kids in between Bobby (11) and Alex (20). We were informal, took business cards and made polite inquiries/connections.

That was then. Yesterday we were on the phone with our Social Worker who'd be contacting Regional next week and she wanted us to summarize, again, what we were looking to do about expanding our family. Would we take a high legal risk newborn, for example.

After much discussion The Other Mother and I decided we can't decide. Yeah. Who are we to close the door on whom God? The Universe? thinks we should parent.

Remember we only fostered teens and were never going to adopt. Then along came 8 year old Bobby visiting his teen sister we had in foster care. We fell in love with every last stinkin' freckle and adopted him and have never looked back.

We weren't ever going to foster babies - and our Social Worker called us for Baby Dee, a medically fragile failure to thrive infant who stole our hearts in the time it took to hold her.

We were trained by our bio-son, Alex, in the challenges and blessings of parenting children to the other side of their not-so-easy teen years. We are proud of the young man he has become and the adult man he is becoming. We made it through the other side in one piece and we really like being with each other. As a result, we are NOT afraid to foster parent or adopt teens.



So because we had to give an answer on the phone, we are open to 0-18 through our area Foster Care Unit and open for 4-18, in our Regional Adoption Unit, but would take a newborn as part of a sibling group. Most likely boys (a girl could be part of a sibling group but NOT near Bobby or James' age). Both scenarios require an age cushion around James (13).

James will probably be with us through high school and beyond. We adore him. He is kind, caring, easy going. Right now he is dealing with the typical struggles facing all teens today: social temptations, peer influences, decison making. He is the first to say he is a follower. He does so much better if there is an age difference. He's a great son, great big-brother to Bobby (11), and a great little brother to Alex (20) but does not do as well with kids close to his age. In an ideal world, he'd be an only child with two stay at home parents to get the much needed attention and guidance he deserves. So we added the caveat to our adoption profile that IF James is with us, we'd like a 5 year cushion: So kids could be 2 years younger or 2 years older than his current age. So, TODAY, because he is 13, that means we'd be open to foster/adopt 0-11 and 15-18.

It feels a little Crazy doing our Family Planning this way.... But, hey. It's real.....and that is what this blog is about. Keepin it all real.

So we will wait for the phone to ring and make the decision in the context of our family at the time of the call. And we will continue to listen with our hearts for God's call, too.

Don't worry. I know what you are thinking.

After the homestudy is submitted, I am going to get us both an appointment with a Neurologist to have our heads examined. I decided we don't need an appointment with a Cardiologist - since I am pretty sure that our hearts are in the right place.

17 comments:

  1. I just posted a comment, but it didnt take I dont think...anyway I think your hearts AND your heads are in the right place! Im excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! My partner is right in your age group, which is why we're not going to be at this game much longer if we don't get any bites, but I love your attitude! We're 3-16 with wiggle room on either side for sibling groups or anyone who's for some reason a good fit. And it's hard to mentally prepare for that kind of range, but it sounds like you've done a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it incredible how God gives us the desires of our hearts before he gives us the desires of our hearts. It's exciting to think of all the possiblities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :o)

    This post just made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are awesome! I hope the right child/children find you soon!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. You two are just AWESOME!! And yes, your heads and hearts are in the right place :-) This is exciting! You are wonderful with newborns through teens. You both seem to take as it comes, so relaxed and so together...such great parents!!

    Going back a bit....I love the fact that you have a bubble gum machine in your house (a real one!!!) How cool is that?? We have our little one on our counter and the kids love it, they would freak if they knew we could get a big one.

    Cold Supper post: Oh that brought back so many memories of my grandma. She still has those exact same dishes, except she has the matching stretchy-plastic/pull over covers (lids) for each bowl. She still has the old fridge with the huge pull down lever, that never works, I have to practically hang on the darn thing to get it to open. But if you ask her, "it's just like new, works fine." Anyway, I have had many Cold Suppers at her house. That post made me smile...and looking on ebay for some of that colored ware :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo! Exciting news! I have GOT to tell K you are open to an infant. She and I are 51 too and she keeps saying we are "too old" for any more! LOL (though I will confess camping sans diapers this wkend was amazingly um, easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My head need examining too, at least that is what all my friends think because they so do not get how we would add more kids to already bery busy family, but we have room in house and our hearts too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Y'all totally rock the Casbah. Which I knew already.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! I can't wait to see what happens! You know, I keep being drawn to the profile of this boy on MARE who likes to knit and needs two moms... the wife thinks I'm nuts and we really can't do adoption for a teen right now, but I keep thinking of you two. ;) It says ideally an only child, but he's 16 and probably not going to get many more chances. You know the photolisting online, right? His registration is #1612. Any way about it, I hope you find the right match(es) and good luck!!! Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by from Saturday Sampling.
    What a couple you are!
    We need more women like you. You're brave, caring...I can sense the love you share with your kids. I'm happy they have moms like you!
    Have a great weekend!
    Correct link to my blog > BLOGitse

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sampling today. I'm so glad you linked up. This is the most inspiring post I've read all week long. You two rock! Sensible with wide open hearts. What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope none of this comes across the wrong way:

    I found you through Saturday Sampling.

    I'm following you because... I used to be a social worker in therapeutic foster care so foster parents are close to my heart... I'm half adopted and I worked a couple of adoptions in the years that I was a social worker so adoptive parents are close to my heart... Equality for all people is one of my passions and finding 2 women who are dedicated to living a life of equality and passion is close to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's interesting how you are flexible in your planning. My parents planned to take in two foster children and wound up with three in order to keep the siblings together. They thought they were getting two boys and a girl but two girls and one boy came instead. The one girl was called Micky (Michelle).

    Stopping by from Saturday Samplings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm positive you've heard this a thousand times, but it takes special people to be open to foster parenting. I'm very happy it's worked out so well for you and am sure you will continue to receive more blessings in the future. Your story in inspiring. I'm glad you linked up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All I can say is that you are both amazing women! GO YOU and your big ol' hearts!

    ReplyDelete