Saturday, July 24, 2010

Whose Best Life, Anyway?

As you may or may not know - In October we are going to Texas for a WOMEN OF FAITH conference. An intimate gathering of 20,000 or so God seeking women. If you've been to one - let me know your thoughts/experiences. We went to the UCC's 50th Synod in Hartford, Connecticut a few years back, but other than that, have little experience with large scale faith events. I'm keeping an open mind.


If you are familiar with the San Antonio area, drop us a line and tell us what sights we should see (or avoid!) We don't mind traveling a reasonable driving distance (maybe two hours?). I think I had a lay-over in Dallas once, but, other than that, have never been to Texas. This is our first child free vacation in at least five years and we plan on enjoying every minute. The past two years we've spent time with our oldest, Alex (20) when we've gotten the youngin's out of the house. So, this time we are planning, for real,...ADULT Time!!! Whoooooo hooo.

So, back to the conference thing: Apparently Marcus Buckingham is one of the speakers. We will be hearing him, up close and personal (with about 25,000 other women at the Alamodome). I'm embarassed to say I have never heard of him or any of the other speakers or singers for that matter. I figure I have some time to brush up on the culture.

I Just took his Strong Life Test for Women and apparently I'm a MOTIVATOR - CREATOR and the Other Mother is a EQUALIZER - MOTIVATOR. I guess I had better buy the book (or at least read the review on Amaz*n.c*m and get a grasp on what he has to say about living my best life. Cuz if this ain't my best life, I'd certainly be willing to try on a new one and see how it fits.

"Hmmm??? Honey, does this life make my blue jeans look big?



I'm really hoping this Motivator-Equalizer thing is like a Taurus-Cancer thing and that The Other Mother and I are meant to be together forever. It better be- cuz after twenty years as a couple (the last two of which we have been legally married), I am not trading The Other Mother in for nothin'. Nothin.

5 comments:

  1. Christine said...
    Well, you WILL be driving one hour east to see me. Because out in these parts, I'm bigger than the Alamo. ;)

    July 23, 2010 10:38 PM


    marythemom said...
    I've been to a Women of Faith conference in San Antonio and it was amazing. They have great presenters.

    I'm a little over 2 hours away, and I'm not bigger than the Alamo so I guess you better just visit Christine. *pout* As for places you don't want to miss... the Alamo and the River Walk are must sees. Oh, and you have to eat Mexican food.

    Let's see what else... dress in layers. It's still hot here in October, but we love our air conditioning so you'll need a jacket.

    Mary in TX

    July 23, 2010 11:59 PM

    Annie said...
    Or Christine you could come :)

    I'm looking so forward to hanging out with y'all. Apparently Motivators are the life of the party.

    I think I should seriously start a bail fund.

    July 24, 2010 9:38 AM


    J. said...
    Have fun, even if you decide you don't like the speakers you will kid free and that will be fun on it's own

    July 24, 2010 9:50 AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may open me up to a whole bunch of stuff, but there's really only one way to 'splain. So...

    Back when I was a really strong Christian, I attended one and loved it. It was a great combination of funny, music, motivation, and life experiences, all of it wrapped up in a great big box of Christianity. So if that's not you, you may not enjoy that part, but looking back from a very different place religiously, I enjoyed it and had a really good time. I want to hear what you think after you've been!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I volunteer to organize a "welcome to TX" get-together for y'all! So excited y'all will be coming to TX! Dia

    ReplyDelete
  4. San Antonio is great! We love it there! Tour the Riverwalk and check out the big mall there. The boat rides on the Riverwalk are fun too! We also love the Mexican market, it is downtown on Market street. The Alamo is a must see and my family enjoys visiting The Tower of Americas. All are not far. This is a HUGE conference, so expect crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to one in Atlanta a few years ago. The speakers were awesome. the Praise & worship with that many women will just blow you away.
    May I recommend during the singing, just stop, and listen. Really listen, to all those voices as one in worship. You'll never forget it.

    ReplyDelete