Yep. You read that right. Today I erased a kid. The day was spent packing the clothes, books, school papers, Lego creatures, Matchbox cars, and the "Many Things of Manny". It amazes me what kids can accumulate in a short time and even more - just how much of an impact a kid can have on a family in such a short time.
Impact is a pretty accurate word to describe what has happened to our family- visualize a meteor slamming into a snow covered mountain - or a car careening at full speed into a guardrail and a concrete wall...Kinda like that but with blond hair and blue-green eyes.
Rugs were shaken out. Toys washed and put away. Surfaces wiped down. Bedding washed and changed. Some household items broken beyond repair were thrown away. Everything was ritually sanitized. With bleach. Twice. The downstairs guest room stands empty and void of all things Manny. I cried.
When Manny was referred to us, we were doubtful of our ability to maintain him in our family setting and were curious why they were trying to place him in a "typical family" when his history reflected the need for more intensive or residential services. Budget cuts and the need to try the least restrictive settings first, blah, blah, blah...was the reply. The placement worker appealed to our experience (and foolishness) and reputation of successfully taking on the more challenging (and crazy) adolescent boys. We like crazy adolescent boys. We really do.
At our preplacement meeting in early March (the day after we returned from Orlando) we met the former foster parents. They remain connected and spoke highly of his many positive qualities. When we met Manny and began transition visits, we saw his many strengths: compassion, curiosity, kindness, playful, seeks affection and connection, smart, articulate, loves to be busy outdoors doing yardwork, interested in planting or gardening, good at tracking time and planning, helpful, able to self initiate and complete homework...and very, very, very VERY damaged by the 9 years of abuse and neglect at the hands of his birth family.
In fact, I gave him the blog moniker of Manny to reflect his many issues...including some emerging health concerns. The medical issues remain a big question mark while we await additonal scans and the specialists argue what to do next...But what is crystal clear is we are not able to manage his level of aggression, self injury, property destruction and rapid cycling of unpredictable behaviors that seem to be triggered by ordinary-everyday requests (like: use the bathroom) or transitions (time to finish playing and come indoors) or perhaps it is just his invisible emotional barometer reacting to a change in the atmosphere. A butterfly's wings flapping in the Amazon?
Who knows?
What I do know is based on the episode he exhibited on Friday evening, we are not equipped to safely maintain Manny in our home. I called 911 and then the The Division Of Family Services and they notified The Crisis Center Team to head to the hospital. I called our neighbors and told them to keep their 3 kids inside because the police were on their way for Manny in crisis and I didn't want them to see.
It was much as you'd expect. And then some.
Afterwards, I offered a drink of water to the officer in the first of the two police cars that responded. Clearly he was shook up by Manny's rage, strength and inability to regain control. And he was angry at being assaulted by a kid and upset over the damage done to the police car. Let's not forget that part.
I explained to the officer that our two older boys were waiting in an upstairs bedroom until they were told it was safe to come out. They boys were shook up and would be calmed by seeing the police had responded and that the situation was under control and that Manny was on his way to the hospital. He wanted to know how old they were...12 and 14...but right now they are 5 and 7 and very scared.
The officer stepped over the broken glass, came inside and I called the two older boys downstairs to process the aftermath with the police. Both boys were relieved and soon fell asleep on the couch watching Harry Potter work his magic.The Other Mother stayed with them while I left for the Emergency Room with a quickly packed bag of his clothes and meds.
I spoke to Manny yesterday afternoon after he was transferred from the Emergency Room and had travelled a few hours and had settled into the adolescent inpatient program. I asked him how he was doing, made small talk. I asked what the place was like.
"It's still nice" he said.
"Still?"
"I've been here before."
"Oh?"
"You've been there before?"
" Yeah. Three times."
"Oh"
I knew about the two other places, but didn't know about this. Apparently, there is much I don't know and even more we can't fix.
Although we will visit and call and remain a resource for him, Manny is gone from our home and won't be coming back. He wants to come back. he has already asked. He doesn't fully understand he is not coming back. I don't fully understand it either.
My obligation is to the safety and well being of the children already in my home. And to the safety and sanity of my house and marraige. He is not compatible with either.
Today I feel broken. Sad. Weary. Not sure I am cut out to do this hard work of heartbreak.
Monday, April 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

hugs, take care of you as you all pick up the pieces, no matter how much we want to help them some children are just more broken than any of us can handle, it is sad but true. You are right to put your family first.
ReplyDeleteI am thinking about you all and sending a virtual hug. You did what needed to be done as painful as it is. Sit with the feelings for a bit but then let them go where they need to. Then go love on your family.
ReplyDeleteplease know that im thinking of the 4 of you, "we cant save them all" NEVER helps, does it? love you both, Ali
ReplyDeleteoh mama. Sending you and TOM and Manny some love. Some hurts are just so huge. Praying, praying.
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing and so loving. You did what you could. You didn't fail. I love you. I'm so sorry this happened to you both.
ReplyDeleteWhat I remember, from the very brief visit we shared in Orlando is you telling me that you knew you were getting on the crazy train with this placement and that it wasn't going to let you off in a good place. And you still got on. Because someone needs to.
ReplyDeleteThank you for being that person, and I would encourage you to know that maybe this brief placement was exactly what it needed to be. I'm so sorry for your trauma.
I thank you for being there, for doing what is right, for getting on the train.
Sending you big hugs and letting you know that I know you both did work your magic on this little boy because he asked to come back both times he was hospitalized while staying with you. Even if he stayed just a short time you made an impact on him and hopefully that will help him to the next rung on his ladder of life.
ReplyDeleteWe did the same, erase a child, once upon a time, seemingly several lifetimes ago.
ReplyDeleteBy "erasing" we have not caused these precious ones to cease from existing... just to cease from being physically present in our homes.
If you are like me in any fashion, you will surely find Manny remains indelibly etched in your heart.
17 years after erasing... our "erased child" remains in our hearts and minds.
I am able to discuss our "lost" child without crying... most days... but I still cry.
From every aspect "erasing" was "what was the best and most appropriate option for all involved."
The ONLY way we've know trauma is through the traumatized kids we remain committed to love.
Even in "erasing... releasing" love abounds.
Your whole family is in our prayers!!!!!
My heart and thoughts go out to you and your family. And to Manny.
ReplyDeleteSo, so simply sorry.
ReplyDelete*hugs*
ReplyDeleteI love you. I love you, I love you, I love you, and I love My Other Mother, too, to infinity and beyond. Your generosity of spirit and courage and willingness to give "Manny" a chance at a family gives me hope for my Daniel, that we will find a family that will give him a chance at a family and a life and "normal." Recover. Cleanse (deeply and thoroughly). Be gentle with yourselves and each other. Do some quilting, and if not, at least stock up on more fabric.
ReplyDelete;-) Send me some dates for May. Know you are loved. xoxo
To both of my mama dramas....damn, damn and triple damn. I am so sad. Sad for your boys and the two of you that because you guys put yourselves out there yet again for a child in need, you've been traumatized. Sad for Manny because he needs families to be fully informed about where he's been and what his needs are. Sad for the officer who has had his blinders stripped away about what traumatized children are capable of. However, the two of you have done all you can do. He's safe and so are you. Sleep well, cuddle your guys and take care. Lots of love from "she who walked the 5K without you but loves you nonetheless". Hang in there friend.
ReplyDeleteIf you could keep in touch and visit once in a while it would probably mean a lot to him. It would also probably mean a lot if you explained, as many times as was needed for him to really understand, why you had to send him away. Explain that it was for everyone's safety, and explain what traits you liked about him. That understanding is essential to him hopefully changing his behavior someday. Maybe a few years down the road he'll calm down. One can hope.
ReplyDelete<3
ReplyDeleteoh my dears - much love and hugs and love and hugs and more love and hugs to everyone. poor manny, poor you, poor other mom, poor boys ... so so so sad.
ReplyDeleteAw, that sucks. Blegh. Sucks.
ReplyDeleteWow, that's so sad. I hope you can keep in touch and reinforce his positives.
ReplyDeleteMy worst fears are not getting enough information about kids too.
I think some kids need a restrictive environment, and have family visits.
*Hugs* You are right that the safety and well being of the children already in your home is your first obligation. As hard as it can be when it comes to seeing other children hurt. I hope for healing for everyone hurt.
ReplyDeleteSo very sorry for you all and for Manny. Hugs. I know you all did all you could and I think the hardest thing in the world is when our very best most sincere effort is not enough.
ReplyDeleteLots of hugs, and empathy, and prayers for healing.
ReplyDeleteSorry for the heartbreak. Sorry for the loss. It's really hard sometimes.
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm so sorry. For all of it. Budget cuts that cause these games to be played with kids' lives. And your hopes that you could help, when it was beyond what you could do. And for the original horrific stuff that happened to Manny. But.. you did not erase him. You kept him safe from himself. I pray that he can find some peace.
ReplyDeleteI know how you feel. Our foster daughter of nine months threatened our family and ran away, and they won't let us have her back. I am so, so sad, and so relieved, and so mad at myself for being relieved. I can't bring myself to pack up her things. Thank you for blogging about this.
ReplyDeleteIt's a hard thing to move a kid out, even if it's for the right reasons. Hang in there and take care of yourself.
ReplyDeleteAs you can tell from my previous posting I'm very behind in reading. I feel great sadness and love for you. (((hugs)))
ReplyDelete