Friday, April 1, 2011

Today We Begin Again

I remember early in our Fostering "career" attending our first meeting of the Mountain Town Foster Parent Support Group and folks introducing themselves...I recall noticing that we were the only ones that had not yet adopted and how after the meeting The Other Mother and I shared our observations and were very clear we were not going to adopt. Yeah. Adoption. That's not for us.

Here we are, having adopted and open to doing it again.

I remember being in Orlando recently and feeling somewhat out of place because our house was fairly settled. No major issues, no crazy attachment stuff happening right now, no turmoil...and being very grateful for the mundane life we call ours.

Mundane?

That didin't last long.

Here we are. Less than a month later. Ready to buckle into the roller coaster AGAIN.

Today our new guy, Manny (he of "many" get it?  many issues...) returns to us.

No. That's not quite right.

Let's try that again: Today, Manny comes HOME to us.

Home, after a two week respite in a RTC to stabilize his behaviors. Manny comes home today and we begin again.

He has had several diagnostic tests and appointments with specialists to help pinpoint what is going on medically. Yes. Medically. Because in additon to the loss and trauma and all the horrible things that brings a child to foster care and the BIG BEHAVIORS that are a result- now there is a medical challenge to face. The Other Mother went yesterday to meet with the surgeon and this morning they are meeting with the specialist.

We are closer to knowing what course our lives will take.

I should be scared and doubtful. I should be a wreck and nervous. I should be praying or crying. I should be many things today - but for now I am Manny's new Mom. Waiting for him to come home.

12 comments:

  1. I just want to give you both a hug. I think that the positivity and grace that you both show every time you welcome a child is amazing. You pour your heart and soul into each one. You say yes when everyone else says no and you do it with so much...awesomeness. Praying for the transition to be smooth and that you get all the answers for mr. manny. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. You've got ovaries of steel, girl. I'll start knitting you a spit sock. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are my heros! What a great resources you are for your 3D community and for all of us out in cyber-land! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you all the best! That is so exciting! I don't even have words for how amazing I think this is. Good luck and prayers for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Manny, Manny blessings coming your way...

    Prayers.

    Corey. Hi-larious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are both amazing women. I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what amazing mom's you are!
    I love your hearts and wish you the best with Manny. Your whole family will be in my prayers and I can't wait to see his healing as you parent therapeutically.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hope the honeymoon is a little longer this time. good luck lovlies

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lucky guy. I'm sending lots of positive energy and good thoughts your way. -Z

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. Someone has to do it. Manny NEEDS you both. It would be super easy for me to just put you on a pedastal for having the guts to say yes knowing all you know. Instead, I will just say, may the Lord go before you and equip you to guide this wounded child to a place of healing and may He bless you and refresh you when you need it most.
    Hugs,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for being loving and supportive and not afraid of the behaviors. This world needs you and people like you.

    ReplyDelete