
After school today, on the ride to his first therapy appointment, I had to break the very sad news to Cal that the Division of Families had called this morning and told me they had faxed all the paperwork for him to switch schools and he would soon attend middle school in our town. School was the one stable thing after being uprooted and it pains me to see him have to experience yet another loss. He cried. He clearly and coherently stated: "It isn't fair!" - "Why are they punishing me?" - "It isn't right because I didn't do anything". His heart was breaking. His heart is breaking.
Cal had his first therapy appointment today - I really like the therapist (John). We all met for a few minutes at the beginning. I gave him the rundown on Cal having to switch schools - and asked how could we best support Cal through this transition. He is a great kid with much on his plate. Together with his therapist, Cal came up with a plan for saying goodbye at his school that gives him some control while protecting his dignity and privacy.
Cal calls his Grandmother everyday afterschool - so we called her after therapy. She told him on speaker phone that his (bio) Mom is in the hospital for some tests and has an infection. Bio-Mom has a regular gastroenterologist monitoring a chronic conditon and this may be a flare up of that. Regardless- Cal was worried for his Mom but more worried that if she was in the hospital that meant she couldn't be out looking for a job or an apartment to get him back as soon as he had hoped........ARGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
I'm going to WALMART tomorrow and buying Cal a brand new catcher's mitt. Just in case there is anything else the universe would like to throw at this kid.
Poor Cal. Bless his heart. I just hate it for him.
ReplyDeleteprayers for Cal --
ReplyDeleteThanks for your warm thoughts.
ReplyDeletePoor kid!!! Sounds like you are right on top of things though.
ReplyDeleteAbout the peeing, as I still have flooding issues in my house and have recently dedicated one entire laundry hamper exclusively to pee items, I am clearly losing this battle. However, back in my working days I did see an 11 year old boy in therapy who also saw a pee expert and it just took a few sessions and *poof* dry kid. They work on muscle control as well as other things. Anyway, just wanted to let you know there is hope.
Poor boy. That's a lot of feelings for him to contend with.
ReplyDelete