Bucksquat, our fifth grader, is making up for lost parenting time and LOVES to sit on my lap and cuddle. He came to us two years ago. I did not have the luxury of knowing him and loving him as a baby. I missed those years of his life. Now, at ten, he loves to climb on my lap and tell me about his day. He likes me to talk to him and rock him while he's in my arms. Sometimes I drape a small lap quilt over his shoulders while we sit and talk. He needs this time - he's emotionally available for this...and doesn't care who sees him climb aboard to cuddle. I love that he is confident about this time and not embarassed, self conscious or worried about being seen as a baby in front of other kids - even older kids. He just doesn't care. He knows what he needs and is claiming it.
Buckshot, my almost 20 year old son, was not a cuddler as a toddler. He was a blur of motion and energy. I confess that I am thrilled that now I FINALLY get a kid to cuddle and hold - but man-oh-man!!! Is the ten year old heavy to hold - and my arms go numb.....so we HAD to get a bigger chair while he was still into sitting on our laps. Our older formal, wing-back recliner was perfect for reading a novel solo. For sitting with a 90 pound boy who needs to cuddle with his Mamas - not so much.
Today I went to the furniture store today while he was at school and purchased the extra cushiony, chocolate brown, fake leather, rocker recliner that Bucksquat and I had been "test driving" each time we went to the store. Seriously. We'd sit in each of the floor models, he'd be on my lap, head on my shoulder, legs draped over the sides in a store full of people. He just didn't care!
The Other Mother and I carried in the new rocker/recliner in the living room while he was in his room reading after dinner. When it was all set, The Other Mother sat in it and we asked him to come out to the living room...SURPRISE! He hopped right onto her lap and put his head on her shoulder .....a perfect fit.
Awwwww. Lucky moms. Lucky boy.
ReplyDeleteThat is so totally cool! I love that your cuddling is so special and good for him. I have 1.5 cuddlers out of 4! LOL Chet doesn't really like physical contact, Rob will give a hug but not cuddle, KC is a constant cuddler and Lissa is that blur of motion that stops for a cuddle here and there.
ReplyDeleteI just saw that you are a new follower to your blog and thought I would pop over! And now I'm intrigued! I've been a social worker for years, so I love reading foster parent's blogs.
ReplyDeleteI am excited to read about you and your partner's parenting adventures!
Love it! Our Lil' man is 4.5 yrs old. Each night before bed he climbs up in my lap, I rock him while singing his fav. songs. I know he didn't get that special time asa baby with his BM. He totally needs it now, and I don't mind one bit!
ReplyDelete