Tuesday, September 15, 2009

It's A Boy



I am restlessly watching the clock, pacing, waiting, for a Division of Families social worker and our new foster son to arrive.

I don't know very much about him: He is just 12. Last year he missed over 53 days of school with only 24 excused absences. He has only been to school twice in the two weeks we have had school here in New England. The school offered Mom summer school so he wouldn't get left back - but she didn't follow through and now he is repeating a grade. His Mom also doesn't care for his asthma. He has missed 4 out of the last five appointments with his pulmonologist. There is much more of course, but suffice it to say - he needs a safe place to stay that will keep him breathing and attending school. That would be us. I'll be driving him about an hour to school each way, each day until either a family member steps forward and takes him in or transportation gets straightened out.

To protect his privacy here, we will refer to him as "Cal" (as in California, calypso, calories, calcium, calculate, caliber, and calamity) Hmmmnnn.

Well. I'm gonna go pace on the front porch. And watch the clock.

6 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear more. Hopefully the new arrival has been delivered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. angels.

    you are wonderful!

    Good luck.. he is blessed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thats pretty exciting. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, now you won't loose any of the money that RADish brought in.

    LK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do you name these children things after inanimate objects? They're humans, not objects. Tell me this, is this how you view them? Less than human? I find it incredibly disturbing, especially as far as RADish is concerned. Are you trying to say he's a vegetable?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope things are going well. The drive sounds tough, but then again, I loathe driving! LOL On the other hand, a great way to talk w/ kids as mine chat like crazy in a car where they don't have to look at you.

    ReplyDelete