Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Like a Caged Animal



OK. I've made it through my first week as a Stay At Home Mom. So far no one has been hurt and the police haven't been called to my address. I take that as a good sign. Really. I am, however, just a lttle bit bored and lonely. Pacing the house like a caged animal. Not like a sleek Siberian Tiger kind of pacing - more like a dazed Raccoon kind of pacing. I hear it gets better. The staying at home part - not the pacing. This is just the adjustment period I am told. What they didn't tell me is how long it will last. The adjustment period - not the staying at home part.

Thank god for laundry that needs doing, bills that need paying, cat boxes that need emptying and recycling that needs sorting. Something to keep me busy til the big yellow school bus pulls up at 3:27. But who's watching the clock? Without my chores and errands, I'd truly lose my mind.

I may still lose my mind, but the process has been slowed, somewhat. Why? Because of your AMAZING Blogs. "Thank G*d" for incredible bloggers like you. Yes; YOU! Your witty, wonderful writings keep me laughing while I am pacing! Your comments keep me connected and your insightful posts remind me that The Mamas are not alone in this crazy foster/adoption parenting journey. Thanks.

5 comments:

  1. You are bored!?!!? Woman please come to my house and help me with MY laundry!! Lol. I want to be bored. Really really bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on making it this far.... :-) I am with A--come on down to my house and do my laundry, cooking, unfinished projects and I want to be bored too! Really I do. I would welcome boredom. Nothing to do. Nowhere to rush to. Twiddling my thumbs... Oops, I got carried away in a dream....where was I going with this? Oh yes, bored. I don't get bored BUT I do think I understand the isolation and readjustment of what constitutes your "life." I had worked a pretty desirable career for ALL of my adult life and after 20 years of working at it, the shift was hard. Still is, and I am a year into it, although I will relish this role as long as it lasts.

    It gets better as you get into your SAHM "groove." Hope you don't mind the teasing.

    Best,
    Dia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dia and A:
    I don't mind the teasing at all and I do love the comments. Thanks. Really. I think I will find my groove again - but for now it just feels a little strange, a little new, being at home....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What did we ever do without blogging? It's my lifeline. You'll get your groove on in a few days....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I felt the same way in the beginning. It really is a slow down from doing all the mom work AND an outside job to only mom work. But, you will find plenty to do as time goes on and you will get busy again. I don't know that it is having so much to do as it is having stuff to do that never used to get done and so was ignored. I hope it goes well for you. Enjoy the relaxing!

    ReplyDelete