Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Hoarding


Lee's post earlier this month at http://familiesrbuiltwithlove.blogspot.com/ reminded me about our own family's experiences with hoarding. Last year, through a nearby University, our family was asked to participate in a research study on hoarding behaviors in children in the foster care system. Haven't heard what this research project found out - but I can share our personal experiences.

One of our older daughters was/is a food hoarder. Candy wrapers, bags. Did you know cranbery juice makes a lovely tourquoise mold???? Ummmm. Any how, after the dog barfing in her room a few times, we had to ask that she keep her food stash in a clear plastic shoe box container - up high, so the dogs wouldn't get into it. She could still have it/see it/get the comfort/but we didn't have to deal with the dog-sick and mess in her room. Also what she hoarded/actually ate/binged on was a good barometer to her current mental health and anxiety levels. Wish I could say the clear shoe box was our idea - but we heard it at a New England Regional Foster Parent Conference.

Bucksquat's hoarding is little more complex. He happily hoards his candy when other kids would want to eat it. Who doesn't eat Halloween candy for goodness sake???? He is comfortable just having it in the cabinets and not eating it. It doesn't need to be in his room.

He also hoards games/toys. If he gets a present, say for Christmas or his Birthday, it will sit on the top shelf of his closet - often with the cellophane wrapper still on. He may take it down and attempt to play a turn-taking game designed for four players, solo. Alone. He'll then put the game back on the shelf where it will sit, and not get touched by anyone else.

Another example is a model car kit - he LOVEs automobiles. You'd think he'd want to assemble it. Nope. For two years the pieces from the kit sat in the colorful birthday bag on the top of his closet. He was happy hoarding the pieces...and did not need an assembled car.

My hoarding is a little more socially camouflaged. For example. I am a quilter. Therefore I have a large fabric stash. I don't understand it myself, but if you know a quilter, you have seen how collecting fabric can be a problem. Of course, We don't think it is a problem. Not one little tiny bit.

I have also been known to come home from TJ M*XX with several of something. Recently: five scrapbooks (they were regularly $19.99 and I got them for $3.00 each on clearance. Wouldn't they make great Christmas presents for Bucksquat and his 3 sisters this year???? A whole theme gift...maybe with little disposable cameras, cool art paper and glue sticks and such....)

My other favorite way to hoard is to grocery shop bargains. I buy what we eat and regularly use - I just "stock up" when it is on sale. The Other Mother teases me when I bring home yet another 12 pack of toilet tissue to store in the closet - or under the bed. Scott Tissue, On Sale - $3.00 off the regular price!!! "Oh yeah, right -like we are suddenly going to stop needing to buy toilet paper" - I rationalize to myself... So what if there are 4 other packages already under the bed. It was ON SALE for goodness sakes!

We are still trying to figure out how to approach this hoarding thing. For now, the Other Mother looks the other way when I come home from TJ M*xx or W*lM*rt and is resigned to the fact that we will NEVER run out of toilet paper

4 comments:

  1. I loved your post and it did give me a new perspective (always good!) My wife is a fabric hoarder--quilter and sewer of many things. I have been known to set a moratorium on new fabric coming into the house till x # of projects are completed. (oh the evilness!!! LOL) I do like a big stash of food and um paper goods such as you mentioned. And that really means I should understand hoarding more, as my issue directly stems from impoverished student years when I first left home. I have to say though I have never had the urge to stash it under my mattress! ewwww! I am going to talk with Rob to see if he would consider a clear shoe box. I actually don't care if it isn't clear as maybe then it will feel "hidden" to him which seems to be part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post..my hubby is somewhat of a hoarder. I think I would have bought the five scrapbooks, that is a great deal! I love the theme idea with the cameras too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, okay here is the thing. I knit. Knitters and quilters NEED to have a strong supply of products in order to create our art. Are people against ART?
    Seems to me the problem is with the beholder who objects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. UhOh..I knit AND quilt!!!! I need my very own Arts & Crafts room for all my stuff!!!!

    ReplyDelete