Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Pharaoh and Cal At Dinner

Cal, Nana, Bio Mom and and an Egyptian Pharaoh came to dinner Tuesday night. It was wonderful to see them all. We really enjoyed sitting at the table with Cal's Mom listening to stories and comparing "notes". Cal looked good, but from the stories Mom told, he could use a little behavioral "tune up" and some reminders on not taking advantage of his Mom. I was so proud of the lovely blessing Cal gave when saying Grace. I was worried he'd be shy or not want to look like a dork in front of James or his Mom- but my boy stepped up!!!! It was good for James to see.

Nana and Mom and Cal brought us 3 Helium Balloons that said CONGRATULATIONS (for our Foster Parent Award that we received on Sunday) and a yummy Ed*ble Arr*ngement for dessert. Very sweet of them.

Cal and James instantly hit it off and were fist knocking, shoulder bumping and hi-fiving within minutes of meeting. Sanjeet was over and Cal was thrilled to see him as they used to play together when Cal lived here. The three boys stood in the front yard, spitting and laughing and posturing like three baby roosters.

Bobby was inside making a costume for the Egypt video he and some classmates are doing for school. All I know is Bobby is an Egyptian Pharoah and will be poisoned and somehow time travel to the Revolutionary war. He came home with two yards of taupe silk shantung fabric from his teacher (an old curtain?) and asked me for scotch tape and safety pins. I cringed thinking about the impending meltdown when the costume didn't work out, but let him tape his curtain while we cooked dinner and visited with our guests.

I was uncomfortable with the striking contrast between the three typical, rough and tumble boys and Bobby. James was reprimanded for throwing a stick when he ran out of soccer balls to whip at Sanjeet and Cal in a rough game of Dodge Ball. Bobby, on the other hand, is inside wearing beads and pinning his fabric and is...*sigh*...is just who he is. I need to relax and be a little less homophobic about how he expresses himself. I just wish, sometimes, he'd express himself a little less flamboyantly. Really.

Speaking of....I do believe my boy has a talent... note the safety pins, star shaped tucks, decorative fabric sash and train! Tres chic. He did this all.by.himself!


The boys laughed and teased Bobby a little and I quickly sprang to his defense. "Don't laugh! - this is what Calv*n Kl*en was doing when he was 12 and now he's a billionaire". That slowed their roll.

Dinner was good and dessert even better. The conversation was easy and relaxed. It was nice having a table-full at dinner time. We said our goodnights to Nana, Mom and Cal and reminded them Cal was welcome back for an overnight or visit or if Mom needed respite. Mom smiled and said "How's Friday???".

4 comments:

  1. HA! Mom's no dummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tease Kirsty that she has watched too much project runway around the kids. One day I came home from work and KC had taken the cat's scratching post which has a flat platform and was pretending he was "sewing" fabric and turning them into dresses for Elisabeth. ROFL He is just as likely to play football and baseball and who knows, I could be wearing a KC or Bobby original some day! Love the costume!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a billionaire in the family would be a great thing, maybe he and Calvin can start their own company!

    ReplyDelete