Thursday, November 12, 2009

Where To Begin????

Little Miss Baby Dee had her Gastro appointment yesterday. She is still not gaining as much as she should be considering the calories she is taking in. Three months and 7 pounds 6 ounces. Only has gained 2 ounces since last week. The Doctor, thankfully, decided not to hospitalize her. he said "the hospital is a very scary place right now" - referring to the flu outbreak and her weak and compromised health status. So they are ordering the NG tube back in so she can hook up to an overnight- ten hour infusion feeding pump. This should help give her a boost on gaining some weight. Nutritonist called and we are adding things to her formula to boost her calories- canola oil, rice and some sort of prescription mix. All I can think of is the protein powder that body builders use and I picture her all jacked up and muscle bound with bulging veins...looking like Charles Atlas in a diaper....Anyhow..... They ruled out Cystic Fibrosis and Downs Syndrome. The Doctor mentioned the name of a syndrome that Baby Dee has several characteristics of. I don't want to Jinx it so we need to wait on Genetics to be sure. That will take a few more weeks, at least.

Buksquat, I mean Bobby, had his 3 month Psychiatrist appointment today and we saw the clinic Director in the hallway - she announced the clinic has finally hired a therapist - a MALE therapist!!!! And Bobby will be assigned to him!!!! Bobby's therapist moved in JUly and the clinic could not find a good fit...so now Bobby will be back in therapy: YIPPPEEEE. Just in time cuz next week is National Adoption Day and his anniversary of being adopted one year ago and his birthday. GEESH. I am expecting some serious Full Scale Nuclear Meltdowns...

Cal is having twice weekly phone calls with bio Mom now. He has it in his mind he is going honme for Thanksgiving but cannot wrap his mind around the fact he may be in care longer. Like Basketball try outs are Saturday and he is signed up. Practices start in December and the first game is right before Christmas. On the one hand he is convinced he will be going home next week- and the other he wonders if he and Bobby will play on the same team. Overall he is regressing and is more like an eight year old than a 12 year old. ARGH.

The Other Mother got a call from a social worker supervisor regarding AK. AK - remember him? Average Kid (AK) - a 13 year old young man who was with us for most of the summer and returned home to Mom in August. Well in September Mom finally went to the doctor for painful lumps in her breasts. The sad news is she has Cancer that has spread. In October a social worker gave us a quiet heads up that AK understood Mom was sick and the kids may need to go back into care and he asked to be placed with us when the time comes. So end of October I take the boys for a ride after therapy to AK's town and "drop in" to say hi and bring them some photos of AK. Mom was happy to see us - hugs all around and disclosed her cancer and said "I thought I was done for and we wondered who could take all the kids and we you were the only one who could take them all" (Ak 13 and three sisters 7, 3 and 15 months) HOLY CRAP. What do you say to that??? I offered to have AK come for a weekend visit if she ever needed a little break and before leaving said call if you need anything. Oh my God. They were living in a one room studio with no heat. I cried quietly the whole way home. This poor woman. Now, Mom has several surgeries scheduled and the kids (AK and his 3 younger sisters) will be going back into Foster care while Mom has 3 surgeries, tries to get disability and finds an apartment with heat, and tries to survive her Cancer. This is so sad and horrible and wrong and painful. So the Social workers were calling today again because Mom was telling them she was sure we'd take all four. The Social Worker and they had to call Mom back to sadly explain we have since taken other children and that even though we have a big house we are full and only licensed for 4 children. So now this gravely ill woman needs to scatter her childen to the wind. CRAP. So tomorrow AK goes to school and says his Good Byes and then goes to DFS to hang out until 5. When the worker heads home at 5pm she will bring him to our house. One sister will be in a home and the two youngest will hopefully find a home together.

Buckshot - ALEX, my bio kid turned 20 yesterday. TWENTY- where does the time go??

I called my 22 yo foster daughter, "E", on the number she left the other day on on my answering machine. I was calling her to wish her a happy 22nd birthday. Yeah. Five of my kids are SCORPIOS. YIKES. This guy answers and when I say I must have a wrong number he says "..this is her FIANCE." Fiance - what the hell???? Better yet, WTF (Who's this fiance???)

Me- I have a sinus thing going and a throbbing abcess in my lower right jaw - a molar or two. I am hurting. Tylenol with Codeine is not even touching it. I am calling the Dentist first thing and begging to be put out of my misery.

The Other Mother is getting over the flu/cold/cough/hacking up a lung and is sleeping soundly. Where I should be. Sleeping.

Oh - and if you have not yet donated to Heartline Minstries and sponsored Corey from Watching the Waters please do so..She is running a marathon to raise money to buy an ambulance for a Haitian Women's clinic....check it out at http://watchingthewaters.wordpress.com/2009/11/12/we-did-it/

I am soo tired and heading to bed.............

5 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a lot going on!

    AK, siblings and his mom......breaking my heart. Incredibly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw that is so sad about the mom with cancer. Sheesh! It will help a little that the boy has a familiar foster home to go to I think.
    Hope the dentist gets you good drugs- sounds miserable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I so was teary eyed this a.m. reading about AK and his siblings and mom. You sure do have a lot going on. Hope the NG tube helps out little Baby Dee with the weight gain. Hope your mouth is feeling better soon. K has been fighting that piggy flu and is finally on Tamiflu and starting to look and sound a wee bit human again. healing hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was quite the post. AK's situation is breaking my heart. I just can't imagine being in that mother's position. So much is wrong with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOPS, I acidentally deleted a very nice comment someone sent....sorry!!!!

    ReplyDelete