Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Connections and Blessings

Connections and Blessings. There are things that sustain me when parenting is hard. Chocolate. God. My spouse. Shopping half price day at Salvation Army. Reading. God. Sleep. Coffee. I do have to say that the fail safe to get me goin' and keep me runnin' for the past year or so has been reading other blogs. Yup. You all. Y'All. In fact, All Y'All have been my go-to-gals. The wonderful connectons with other foster-adoptive-bio moms here in the blog-o-sphere has been a sanity saver. Really. For this, I thank you.

This past fall, when we were newly foster parenting Baby Dee, we kept her close. Baby Dee was quite sick and failure to thrive on top of all of her conditions. We were carrying the baby EVERYWHERE. Dia por Dia was sweet enough to send me a comfy and safe baby sling. Thanks.

When I wasn't sure what to do with one of my children's escalating PTSD reactions and developing our own PTSD in reaction to their reactions, Dia kindly offered her phone number and a friendly ear. Knowing I could call was enough.

Recently, Dia traveled the east coast on her annual summer vacation trek and we were blessed to have her drive a few hours out of her way to come see us in our neck of the woods. Of course, after seeing her comfy mini-van, a few extra hours driving in her van could be considered a treat!



Anyhow..we hung out. The kids played in the park and ran through the water features.



Together we shared both plain and fancy pizzas with our children: chicken broccoli and walnuts on one and pesto, spinach, garlic, feta and plum tomatoes on the other...YUMMERS)



Did I mention we talked and talked and talked and talked until it was dark....and the park was closed. And still we talked some more in the empty parking lot.

The highlight, well, if you must know, was meeting one of my favorite authors in person: Corazon. Over the past year I have enjoyed reading her journal: well written clever responses to creative writing prompts.



We've tentatively made a plan to connect in October when our travels take us to Texas for a Women of Faith Conference.

I can't wait.

3 comments:

  1. there is nothing as amazing as turning virtual friends into live and in person ones. So great that you managed to connect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's still talking about meeting "Mama Drama." I don't think I can reference you to her any other way! Definitely worth the trip to visit with you and the Other Mother (even if we didn't have a comfy van!) It was wonderful to meet you and I cannot wait until you make it to TX!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!!

    Your Vermont pics were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete