Thursday, August 5, 2010

Ruffled Feathers



War. Disease. Famine. Drought. Floods. All that and more is going on in the world as we speak and I have the gall, temerity, effrontery, audacity, and nerve to have my feathers ruffled. All because James is completely obsessed with wearing ONLY black plain undershirts. I sent him to a 5 day sleep-away camp with 7 shirts (2 long sleeve and 5 short sleeve) Four short sleeve came back unworn. Yeah. Four. The blue, brown, charcoal, and green ones to be exact. What did he wear for 5 days in 90 degree heat? Yeah one black T shirt. Really.

Last night at Football Practice he spent more time bending over to dust the dirt off his cleats and then standing up to brush the imaginary lint off his black T shirt and smooth and fuss over the hem of the shirt, then look at his shoes and bend over and brush the dirt off his cleats.....Lather rinse, repeat.

Wondering why I'm posting a pic of his team? He's not even in this picture. Why? He's on the sidelines bending over to brush the dirt off his cleats. Again. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH.

War. Disease. Famine. I clearly have way too much time on my hands if I am worrying (and blogging) about this.


Speaking of too much time on my hands, I spoke to The Stork yesterday (our son's former adoption worker...) and told her the Division of Family Services had best place some kids with us QUICK before we get too used to this being ALONE business. Seriously. We could get used to being child free. Again.

I say AGAIN because prior to 2005, when we first fostered a teen girl, we did get our fair share of alone time. Even when Alex was growing up with us, and ever since he was a baby, he spent half his time at his Dad's...so The Other Mother and I ALWAYS had alone time. *sigh*

With James AND Bobby both away at camp TWICE this month, The Other Mother and I have had time to rest, relax and remember what it is like to NOT have children. I'm here to tell you it is pretty nice to be child-free. Really.

No stress about constantly monitoring who is doing what and where with whom, no worry what to cook for dinner or when to cook it. We can have cereal for dinner if we are so motivated. Sleep late when we are tired, Play when we feel like it.

We were able to talk about ANYTHING anywhere and I did not need to edit every.single.thing.that.came.out.of.my.mouth Which, I gotta tell you, is really, really hard because I like to talk and talk and talk. And talk some more. We have a child that thinks he should be (and acts like he is) the parent and we are his peers and staff. Really. Thus The Other Mother and I must often edit/structure our conversations to limit his opportunity to be in the middle of and direct all of our conversations. Exhausting sometimes. Really.

Before I got too used to the Child-Free idea myself, last night, I went online to our humble New England state's website for adoption and found a sibling group (girl 5 and boy 9) that, based on their needs and interests, may be a good fit for our family (boy 11, boy 13, and our adult son, 20.) I asked the Other Mother to check it out if she had any down-time at work and we'll see what she says. Two brothers, school aged, would be an even better match...but of the few listed, none are a fit (some kids need a Dad not 2 Moms, or need to have no pets or no other children in the house- both of which we have). *sigh*

In the meantime, I am home doing housework - being a domestic goddess in training, blogging, puttering, cleaning the fish tank, vacuuming... The list goes on....

I better get goin' before the Beav and Wally get home...

1 comment:

  1. I take it James is not interested in girls? ICK, 5 days in the same shirt.... ICK ICK ICK!!! It always struck me on the adoption listings how many were strict in the form of family they wanted. I can understand no younger sibling and no pets, but some of them get really specific. Should be the only child in the family. Should have a stay at home mom. I think they are meant to be guidelines but they sound like mandates and I bet a LOT of great families go by the wayside.

    ReplyDelete