Monday, August 9, 2010

Welcome to Sunday in MY City

Sunday in MY City:
The Other Mother was the guest Minister at Church Sunday morning while our Minister was on vacation. I must say, she did an amazing job. Once she got going you could have heard a pin drop during her sermon. Our children were focused and complimentary as well. The boys actually SANG some of the hymns. Wow.

It's a good thing her sermon was so good and I felt so spiritually nourished and calm after - because I anticipate my blood pressure will be a little elevated when I speak to both a certain teen and his Social Worker later on today about the, ahem, "Adult Oriented Internet Research" this young man was caught doing in the middle of the night on my laptop. Yeah. Really. Welcome to MY City.



Let me back up a little: Sunday morning, Alex, my oldest boy, was sweet enough to ask me upon awakening: "I have something to tell you but do you really want bad news before church?". Yup. Bring it. And he did. Holy Cr*p.

Apparently, Alex woke up at 3 am to use the bathroom and found an unamed child sitting at the kitchen counter with my plugged in, lap-top computer. When Alex asked what he was doing on my computer - Dude replied "watching a movie". Alex said "Dude - you need to go to bed". Dude shut the computer cover quickly and went to bed. Alex waited and checked what was on the screen, locked the computer and kept all the screens as they were so we could see....Holy Cr*p. Ewwwww. Is that even physically possible????

I checked my history and this has happened a few late nights before in the past month. The other concern is this child takes an evening sleeping pill that is TWICE the dosage of another child's same sleeping pill. In other words, he is on enough sleep meds to knock out a horse, but has still gotten up in the middle of the night to look at internet stuff. Yeah. I'm not even a little OK with this.  I get that it is developmentally appropriate for a almost 14 year old boy to be interested in this (in the 60's and 70's boys sneaked looks at Playboy Magazine...now we have the internet...) But, still, I am not OK with this. Not even a little.

The funny thing is a few weeks ago I was looking for a recipe and couldn't remember the site it came from, so I went to "History" with The Other Mother standing over my shoulder and there some adult sites listed in the wee hours of the morning. I freaked and saw the blog listed right before was an adoption blog that I recently began to visit that advocates and fundraises for special needs kids in orphanages...

So for the past few weeks I haven't gone back to that blog, thinking I picked up a virus there - and the pictures of the orphanage were really p*rn pics in disguise designed to infect your computer ...OK so I have an over-active imagination....but really...It wasn't me looking at...Ewwwww. Gross. Well, you don't want to know. Really. It never occurred to me it was one of the kids looking at stuff  in the middle of the night, cuz they are on sleep meds and show NO interest in my lap top computer...the Wii on the other hand, has their full attention.....

So, any how, back to the CHURCH THING:

Upon arriving to church, a well respected older gentleman asked to have a word with The Other Mother after church. Hmmmmm. During coffee hour they chatted in the back of the room for some time. We were busy with coffee hour and she didn't tell me what the conversation was about until we were at home having lunch. In summary, he asked if she would consider being the Chaplain to the Fire Department. Wow. Holy Smokes! What an honor...I got a little verklempt (happy-proud-weepy) with all that implied....

And being asked to be Fire Chaplain totally balances out the p*rn thing... At least in my world.



PS: Editorial Clarification/Technically speaking: I had previously stated The Other Mother was the Minister at church. She was not. She was the GUEST Minister. No offense to anyone for my error. Sorry, but I am new at this Guest-Minister's Wife Thing...

3 comments:

  1. "And being asked to be Fire Chaplain totally balances out the porn thing... "
    Can I use that as my signature?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thnking of having it tattooed, myself....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, yes. It must be a virus and not the teenage boy living in my house. :-) I remember those days too. One of mine has a PHD in "adult internet research". Thanks for that laugh this morning. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete