Thursday, September 16, 2010

30 Day Challenge: Day 17-An art piece (drawing, sculpture, painting, etc)

Maybe I'm supposed to show famous art or sculpture that inspires and moves me, but I am instead showing two quilts I created.  The first is a landscape view of the lake and islands that was inspired by a photo taken from the hill the first spring after we bought the house. The quilt is about 3 feet by 5 feet and now graces Alex's bedroom wall.






The crow quilt was inspired by the 3 realistic fake crows (made with feathers and plastic) that sat on the split rail fence in front of our house the first day we saw it with our real estate agent.  I was drawn to crows at the time of my mother's death when I witnessed my first mass crow exodus at dawn on the day my mother died.  A "crow convention" is the daily gathering at dusk and  communal roosting and early morning dispersal of hundreds and hundreds of crows.  I didn't know crows did this...I thought they hung out in thee little families of 5.... After that weekend I noticed crows everywhere. For example, there was one sitting on the fence cawing loudly by one of the two funeral plots I could have picked..so I picked the one with the crow. Silly things like that that comforted me at the loss of my mother. Anyhow, I am now drawn to crows and so created a small wall hanging that was also inspired by a pillow I saw in a catalog somewhere.  The lighting is poor - they are pecking at an ear of corn and the border fabric is sunflowers.



3 comments:

  1. Oh my Lands! Those quilts are GORGEOUS! You have some serious talent! Did you know that you get cooler and cooler in my book everyday??

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that first quilt especially is incredible. I think I will download that picture. It is the most beautiful quilt i have ever seen, honestly. just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a gift! A serious gift! Those are beautiful works of art. Thanks for sharing! I'd love to see more, if you have more to show...

    ReplyDelete