Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Red Wine and Potato Chips For Breakfast

Red Wine and Potato Chips For Breakfast. No. Not really. Yet. But I am PMS and thinking about it. ARGHHHHH. My kids are making me crazy. Really. Really. Crazy. I get that I am a little bit sensitive and on edge until the hormonal roller coaster settles down...But holy mother of God, my kids are a piece of work. Kids. Plural. 

Lets start with James. This morning James had about 10 feet of driveway to shovel of our half a football field long driveway. Really. Just 10 feet. He could not do it. Could not finish. Could not even shovel in a methodical back and forth or up and down motion. He went in circles. It was chaos.  Left the shovel in the middle of the driveway and just walked a way to "use the bathroom" (which is an euphemisim for avoiding anyhting resembling work).  He then came outside a few minutes later with all his school things and walked down the driveway past the shovel. Uhmmmm, No.

Last Friday it took The Other Mother, Bobby and I a total of four hours to shovel the driveway...while James just sat inside the kitchen in a chair staring out the window. His lawyer and a court investigator were due at the house at 3:00 and at 12:30 in the afternoon we were STILL shoveling. Shoveling for HIM. Clearly the self-sacrificing do-for-others gene of Motherhood has skipped my generation. I don't expect gratitude for what we do for the kids, but I do expect participation. Even half-assed unenthusiastic participation - but participation.

I asked him today why he didn't help shovel on Friday (Friday was his third time not shoveling) expecting him to say some plausible teenage lie like "I had a stomach ache" or "I was worried about my mom or my attorney coming and couldn't concentrate..."  So this morning in the driveway I pressed him  for an answer - after three replies of "I dunno" I told him to come up with a real answer.

And he did.

"I didn't feel like doing it"

Ummmmm. OK. Thankfully my entire face was semi-frozen from shoveling otherwise my jaw would have dropped.  Seriously.

So now I am holding all these icky feelings of wanting to have my own little tantrum and not do a few things because I don't feel like it and maybe have a consequence or two or three like no Wii......ARGH. Not a pretty way to start the day.

5 comments:

  1. I am quite certain my 12 year old can *sense* when I am hormonal. It seems no matter what I do, no matter how hard I try to put on my game face and be outwardly happy- he knows. And pushes and prods and pokes, and ALWAYS on the days I am least capable of handling it.
    Red wine and potato chips for breakfast sounds totally reasonable to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to jump over here because of your title...love it! Only I would just need the wine, no chips. lol I try to issue PMS disclaimers to give everyone around me a heads up. So when I do throw my fit, they are prepared and know to give me space.
    He sounds a lot like Mr. The bathroom drill makes me crazy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhhh....the infamous "I dunno!" I hate that one about as much as "I forgot!" May I dunno where the iPod went and I forgot how to do laundry.

    ReplyDelete